The Campaign Writer is part of a team that advances the California Science Center Foundation’s EndeavourLA Campaign in support of the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center major expansion project. The ideal candidate is a prolific writer who can create accurate and engaging fundraising materials with ease and adapt copy to fit various contexts and audiences. Strong organizational skills and a keen ability to balance multiple tasks and deadlines are also required.
The Campaign Writer is responsible for writing compelling grant proposals, solicitation materials, reports, letters and other communications; tracking grant deliverables and reporting requirements; identifying, researching and profiling prospective donors; and contributing to administrative and information management activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree desired, or equivalent work experience.
- 1-2 years experience in fundraising and/or communications; experience with nonprofit storytelling and grant writing desired.
- Strong persuasive writing and excellent editing skills; must be able to produce relevant writing samples upon request.
- Ability to synthesize information from various sources and adapt the tone, style and voice of copy to fit a range of contexts.
- Strong research and analytical skills with ability to find and evaluate funding opportunities.
- Ability to interpret budgets and financial reports and to convey information in narrative form as well as numerically.
- Highly motivated self-starter with excellent follow-through and ability to prioritize tasks to balance assigned responsibilities.
- Strong organizational skills with keen attention to detail and ability to deliver high-quality work within tight time constraints.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to produce results in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with donors, volunteers and staff across departments.
- Ability to maintain high standards for information management including tracking gift requirements, financial data, and interdepartmental and external communications.
- Proficiency in Internet research tools; knowledge of prospect research resources and best practices, for both individual donors and grant-making organizations.
- Proficiency or ability to become quickly proficient in Microsoft Office suite and OneDrive applications, Zoom or other videoconferencing platforms, donor databases or constituent relationship management systems; experience with Tessitura a plus.
- Must show discretion in handling sensitive issues and confidential information.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings and weekends (Saturday and Sunday) on occasion.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Writing and Research
- Create and update Campaign informational materials and write a range of correspondence, including personalized acknowledgment letters, project updates, invitations and other communications.
- Prepare letters of inquiry, proposals, and narrative and financial reports; this includes liaising with various departments and project staff to ensure the information provided is accurate and up-to-date.
- Research prospective donors and prepare profiles and briefings for staff and volunteers, reporting findings in both written form and in person.
- Write Campaign and project content for Science Center e-newsletters, website and social media.
- Develop and maintain a ‘story bank’ of donor profiles and constituent impact stories for various applications.
- Monitor news and current events to analyze trends and opportunities in philanthropy, identify new prospective donors, and provide relevant updates on existing donors and constituents.
- Maintain a grant docket and other systems to track proposal and reporting schedules, keeping project staff apprised of information needs, milestones and deadlines.
- Contribute to the maintenance of digital and non-digital files for Campaign donor/prospect information and materials.
- Contribute to tracking and coding Campaign contacts and actions in the donor database to assist with targeted communications and moves management.
- Assist with cultivation, solicitation and stewardship meetings, visits/tours and events as needed.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of systems and procedures for the effective operation of the Campaign.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
$26.45 - $28.85 / Hr