Vice President of Development
The California Science Center Foundation seeks an experienced and energetic development professional to manage the creation and implementation of a strategic development plan for growing annual and multi-year fundraising programs, integrating operations and stewardship initiatives, and facilitating the completion of the visionary EndeavourLA Campaign to build the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. Reporting to the Senior Vice President/Chief Advancement Officer, the Vice President of Development will manage a team of five direct reports, including a Director of Development who oversees the annual fundraising team responsible for the membership and annual giving programs, the annual benefit gala, and grant development.
The ideal candidate has a minimum of five years of experience in front-line major gifts fundraising and campaign initiatives, and three years of experience managing a team or department. They have experience building donor pipelines across diverse program areas and contribution levels and can advise on structural enhancements and new resources to foster collaboration among a growing team. The Vice President of Development should be adept at building and managing strong relationships with staff, donors and board members; and demonstrate an appreciation for diversity and the ability to relate to a wide variety of people representing the diverse communities the Science Center serves. Additionally, they should demonstrate a commitment to the California Science Center’s mission and values, and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Minimum of five years development/fundraising experience in one or more areas including capital campaign, annual fund, grant development, membership or planned giving; record of successful career growth with three+ years team leadership experience desired
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor, with ability to exercise the utmost discretion in being trusted with confidential/sensitive information
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Experience with museums, informal learning institutions or community-based organizations a plus
- Knowledge of Los Angeles area philanthropic communities desired
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people from diverse backgrounds
- Successful track record of soliciting and closing major gifts; ability to identify, qualify and engage prospective donors from outside the Foundation’s existing donor base
- Demonstrated experience with strategic engagement of volunteer leadership including committees or boards
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to strategize, set and meet goals both independently and by supervising and motivating a team
- Persuasive writing and editing skills; able to produce relevant writing samples upon request
- Ability to manage departmental and project budgets and interpret financial data
- Proficiency or ability to become quickly proficient in Microsoft Office suite and OneDrive applications, Zoom or other videoconferencing platforms, donor databases or constituent relationship management systems; experience with Tessitura a plus
- Strong organization and analytical skills with keen attention to detail and ability to establish and maintain high standards of information management
- Willingness to staff or attend frequent evening/weekend events and activities
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with leadership to develop and implement a campaign strategy to reach the EndeavourLA goal within the three-year construction period and fulfill the vision for the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center.
- Recruit and manage a team of up to five staff responsible for increasing major gifts and community giving in support of multi-year or campaign initiatives.
- Participate in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gift prospects and donors.
- Provide operational oversight across the department, establishing goals and priorities, monitoring activities, evaluating progress, and adjusting as necessary.
- Direct department managers in the development and maintenance of policies, protocols, training, best practices, and controls for fundraising, including gift acceptance and receipting and donor stewardship.
- Expand the Foundation’s pipeline of prospective major donors by improving coordination and identifying opportunities across Campaign, Annual Fund and Membership programs.
- Create and implement donor engagement strategies across giving programs to cultivate and secure new gifts and increase support from existing donors.
- Work with managers to finalize campaign and annual fundraising program budgets
SALARY RANGE AND REQUIREMENTS
$125,000 - $140,000. Full-time, exempt position reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer. Under current policy, Development staff are provided the flexibility to work remotely no more than two days a week depending on job duties and institutional needs.
Email your cover letter and resume to CSCF@netzelgrigsby.com with Vice President of Development Application in the subject line. Please indicate in your cover letter where you saw the job announcement, e.g. Indeed, AFP Greater Los Angeles, etc.