Bus OperatorLong Beach Transit
The Bus Operator provides excellent customer service and safely transports passengers to their destinations. Long Beach Transit is rated as one of America’s leading transit systems with one of the most modern and finest fleets in the nation. Services provided include 39 fixed routes, several inner-city express lines, and downtown and oceanfront shuttles. Long Beach Transit employs nearly 800 people.
LBT is currently hiring full-time Bus Operators, offering excellent fringe benefits. No bus driving experience is necessary.
Other Job Benefits include:
- Paid training at $13.00 per hour
- Starting rate after training $15.87 per hour with annual raises with a top pay rate of $28.86
- Full-time positions. Guaranteed 40-hour work week
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
- Company medical, dental and vision plan for you and your family available
- Company pension plan
- Company paid Life Insurance and employee assistance program
- Uniform allowance
- Modern and clean employee facilities, including a recreation room, gym and lounge
Customer Service- Provide excellent customer service to passengers utilizing positive passenger relations; assist passengers in and out of bus when requested; announce stops and major streets; answer questions of passengers; communicate effectively with passengers and use good judgment. Secures wheelchair using all restraints and may be requested to assist wheelchair passenger with seatbelt and with aligning wheelchair
Safety Compliance/ Required Reporting- Attend required safety training; complete maintenance requests, fare box slips; complete accident, incident and other related reports.
Pre-Trip Inspection- Perform pre-trip inspection according to DMV and Long Beach Transit policy and procedures. Inspection consists of thorough inspection of bus to include checking under vehicle looking for leaks, hanging wires, debris, etc., that could impede bus operations; checks tires, gauges, check fire suppression system and reflectors as well as emergency exit doors; fills out appropriate paperwork to document any issues in need of attention; restock bus books and brochures.
Bus Maintenance- Pick up newspapers, debris and perform a visual inspection of vehicle while performing a safety walk through the bus at layovers.
Professional Obligations - Attend all required Long Beach Transit meetings and training sessions. Maintain Department of Motor Vehicles licensing requirements, including a Class B license with airbrakes and passenger endorsement. Submit to drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be 21 years or older with a California driver's license (at least two years with CA driver license)
- Excellent safe driving record
- Should enjoy working with the public and have at least one year of experience involving public contact.
- 2-3 years of Customer Service Experience
- Must have the ability to upgrade to a Class B license
- Must be friendly, punctual, safe and enjoy being of service to others.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English well enough to sufficiently perform all essential functions and duties of a Bus Operator.
A DMV H6 printout is required with application (must be current within the 30 days of the printout).
Apply online at www.lbtransit.com/jobs. Online applications must include past work history and be fully completed to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
Candidate must be eligible to work in the United States. Long Beach Transit does not sponsor H1B or other related work visas.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Successful candidate must pass company physical, drug and alcohol test.