Accounting ManagerLos Angeles Times
The Corporate Finance and Accounting department is a quickly developing group within the LA Times. These functions were previously performed by a centralized group under previous ownership. Given the change to Local ownership of the LA Times, we are looking to build a corporate finance and accounting department in El Segundo, CA.
The Accounting Manager will assist in the implementation of a new ERP system. The Accounting Director will hire and manage a team of 8 accounting staff members who perform the period-end financial close and subsequent balance sheet account reconciliations. The Accounting Director will be responsible for the general ledger, procurement, payables, fixed asset and payroll areas within the Accounting department.
- Act as team leader and subject matter expert on most complex/critical areas.
- Be responsible for staff development.
- Assist in the implementation of a new ERP system.
- Review and approve the work of staff accountants.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls and take a lead role in assessing/designing control procedures.
- Hire, train and develop staff to ensure effective, quality execution of department objectives and address deficiencies as needed.
- Formulate, benchmark, and monitor achievement of the objectives, strategies, goals and action plans of the department and staff
- 4 year college degree in Accounting
- Proven ability to lead and develop a team of professionals
- 6+ years of total accounting experience.
- CPA highly desirable
- Ability to work with numerous “clients”.
- Detailed and service oriented.
- Ability to meet strict time deadlines.
- Solid knowledge of U.S. GAAP.
- Well-developed Excel, Access, Word and general ledger skills.
- Will have complete responsibility for the day-to-day supervision of a large functional team (8 direct reports) – including staff development, performance evaluations, hire/fire recommendations, etc.