Payroll ManagerLos Angeles Times
The Payroll Manager manages the development, implementation and delivery of various payroll services, supporting multiple business units while providing high quality results. Maintains a thorough understanding of the Payroll processing and Payroll Tax functional areas and ensures timely and accurate transactions processing. Collaborates with customers, department managers and cross-functional areas of the service center to support overall department and service center goals and objectives. Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient and effective processes/procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of service and quality. Assures Payroll transactions services are delivered in conformity with company and department policy and meet the needs of operating management.
- Implementation of Workday and Kronos software systems.
- Manages delivery of efficient payroll and payroll tax transactions services to support the business requirements of the Company.
- Ensures timely and accurate payroll transactions processing, while delivering on quality and service commitments.
- Develops, implements and monitors department policies and procedures to ensure adherence to company guidelines. Evaluates or supports evaluation of financial transaction related programs to help assure that appropriate policies and practices are implemented.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining internal financial controls.
- Acts as a liaison between the company, government and business partners.
- Makes recommendations on company-wide payroll and payroll tax policies and end-to-end process improvement opportunities, and supports implementation of improvements.
- Monitors and evaluates payroll/payroll tax transaction-related processes, policies and practices to identify and develop more efficient and effective use of resources.
- Prioritizes and facilitates implementation of payroll process-related technology enablement initiatives.
- Leads the planning and migration of payroll processing work to the service center, including managing plan execution, issue resolution, and coordination with operations management.
- Responsible for hiring, training and development of staff; handling personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Responsible for determining roles/responsibilities of payroll processing, payroll garnishments and payroll tax staff functions.
- Works with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year, and monitors and advises on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Provides input into the development of departmental budgets and assist with monitoring spend for adherence to budget; provide variance explanations as needed.
- Resolves high level account discrepancies by evaluating and approving investigations, performing special or sensitive investigations, and authorizing stop-payments while always following confidentiality/ethics policies.
- Ensures compliance with federal and state regulations including overseeing the quarterly and year-end payroll tax processing functions.
- Oversees maintenance of payroll records as required by the company’s record retention policy.
- Wears many hats that may vary from day to day, which could include performing a specialist-level role one day and a manager's role the next.
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to take responsibility and actively perform disbursement tasks wherever needed is KEY.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- 5+ years of professional payroll management experience, preferably in a shared service environment.
- Knowledgble with Workday software
- Kronos experience a plus
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and payables principles and practices.
- In-depth knowledge of end-to-end payroll functions and protocols.
- Knowledge of financial reporting tools and the ability to perform financial analysis.
- General financial analytic capability.
- General knowledge of benefits and the effect upon payroll deductions.
- Technical knowledge of financial reporting and payables systems.
- Able to lead others in the completion of work, able to manage work transition and improvements.
- Experience leading successful programs and projects that support the goals/vision of an organization.
- Prior experience with people management including managing a team, delegating responsibilities, resolving personnel issues, managing performance, and team building.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Advanced Excel.
- Payroll certification a plus