Senior Software Engineer (Back-end)Los Angeles Times
At the Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union Tribune we have entered the next chapter and are investing in the future of journalism. Together, we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer (Back-end) whose primary focus will be designing, building, maintaining and supporting the various backend services throughout the company. He/she will work collaboratively with product management, editorial, marketing and other business units to understand the requirements and strategic initiatives, ensuring the backend services can support and scale to the business needs.
We view our publications as the voice and inspiration for our cities, our state, the nation and the world. Join us on the Product Development team as we build a new foundation for our future.
This position will work out of our El Segundo, CA office.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, and maintain backend services
- Contribute to architecture requirements and decisions related to frameworks, API design, and implementation
- Manage project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years experience of professional backend development
- Expertise in one or more of the following languages: Java, C++, Go
- Extensive experience in REST API design and micro-service architecture
- Experience with Docker, CI/CD, AWS services, and deployment tools
- Excellent verbal communication skills with ability to translate technology-related jargon to diverse groups of technical and non-technical users
- Excellent written communication skills with ability to develop technical documents
- Self-motivation with ability to perform quality work within deadlines and budget with or without direct supervision
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving, appropriate judgment, and decision-making skill