Voice WritersNational Captioning Institute, Inc.
NCI continues to seek bright, motivated, and reliable individuals to provide closed captioning services for a variety of media outlets. National Captioning Institute, Inc. (NCI) is currently looking to hire Voice Writers to start in June of 2019!
These are in-house positions in our Santa Clarita office, with a possibility of working from home after 6 months to a year, depending on progress. Please consider applying today. We would love to hear from you!
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis after successful completion of pre-employment assessments
OUR COMPANY: NCI is a mission-oriented nonprofit that has been around for 40 years. We set the standard for excellence in the closed captioning industry, and we continue to spearhead changes that will improve the viewer experience for consumers of closed captioning.
WHO WE ARE: Captioners come from a wide variety of backgrounds. The main things we have in common are that we speak English with a native proficiency, type quickly, and have a knack for grammar, spelling, and punctuation; and we believe that televised and web-based news, sports, information, and entertainment play an important part in how our society functions, and thus, should be accessible to everyone. We are hiring for our Santa Clarita, California location. We use voice recognition technology to create broadcast-quality closed captioning for a variety of media outlets. And we have the coolest job you've never heard of.
WHAT WE CAN DO FOR YOU: We will pay for your training as a live voice writer, as our in-house training program is set up to meet our exacting standards, and we want you to make a living while you learn how to meet these standards. You will start out earning $32,000 per year with benefits; once you go through training and pass a series of accuracy tests, your yearly salary will be $35,000 per year, with plenty of opportunity to work extra hours and earn overtime pay. From there, we give raises to captioners who meet higher standards and are able to caption more challenging programs. We typically promote management from within the company, and as we expand, we seek out smart, motivated captioners to move into administrative positions. So if you love language and television and you are punctual and can punctuate, we invite you to learn more about the employment opportunities at NCI.
If you love news and you love the idea of providing this important service, this could be the job for you. And sports! You will have the opportunity to train to caption baseball, basketball, hockey, tennis, soccer, professional wrestling, and other sports programming.
Wednesday-Sunday 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Saturday-Wednesday 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Sunday-Thursday 12:30 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
Wednesday-Sunday 1:30 p.m.-10:00 p.m.
Thursday-Monday 1:30 p.m.-10:00 p.m.
- An undergraduate degree, such as in (but not limited to) Communications, English, or another liberal arts discipline OR Associate's degree plus one year of related experience OR completion of training program in court reporting or captioning OR high school diploma plus three years of related work experience.
- An interest in providing media access to millions of closed captioning users.
- The ability to read, write, and speak English with a native proficiency.
- A clear speaking voice and excellent enunciation skills.
- The ability to make quick judgments and work under deadlines.
- Proficiency in PC-based computer applications, with strong multitasking and troubleshooting.
- Proficiency and the ability to follow written directions Quick and accurate research abilities.
- The readiness to work independently, with limited supervision.
- The willingness to work a non-traditional schedule.
- The willingness to work overtime, holidays, or as needed according to broadcast schedules.
The National Captioning Institute offers:
- A friendly, casual work environment.
- A structured paid training program.
- Paid Leave/Vacation.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- The opportunity to provide a valuable service.
- NCI employees may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program through the U.S. Department of Education.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: $32,000.00 /year to start; $35,000/year after successful completion of training and on-air assessments. There are other opportunities to earn additional money, including overtime.