Commercial Transportation Insurance UnderwriterUnico American Corporation
About the Job
Unico American Corporation’s subsidiaries underwrite property and casualty insurance in the western states, primarily, California. The company's subsidiaries provide property, casualty, health, and life insurance products, as well as insurance premium financing and membership association services. The company's subsidiaries market their insurance products through a network of brokers and retail agents. Unico American Corporation was founded over 35 years ago and it is located in Calabasas, California.
Our people are passionate about serving our customers, America’s business owners, agents, and brokers and we take pride in being a values-based organization. Guided by our beliefs in Excellence, Success, Integrity, People, Diversity and Stability, we are a company looking for unique individuals who want to contribute.
This is a non-exempt position with an hourly rate of pay. This position directly reports to the Vice President & General Manager and is responsible for helping their assigned department to achieve its particular goals, in accordance with the company’s Mission, Vision and Core Values.
- Provide outstanding service to all policy holders, business owners, agents, and brokers
- Collects and evaluates information to assess eligibility and degree of risk compared to the norm; for example, internet research, application forms, inspection reports, and other data.
- Collaborates with others to improve business outcomes.
- Makes and communicates underwriting decisions, negotiates sales, and participates in promotional activities.
- Provides continuous underwriting and policy support service.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- Interpersonal Skills.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Time Management Skills.
- Organizational Skills.
- Technical Capacity.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
- Presentation Skills.
- Good Judgment.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Decision Making.
- Financial Management.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
This position has no managerial/supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and to hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and stand; walk; use hands to hold, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Though some flexibility in hours may be allowed, the employee must be available during the company’s regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm and for additional time outside of regular business hours, to support the company’s business needs.
No travel is expected for this position. However, volunteer travel opportunities may be presented (e.g., visits to brokers, agents, trade shows, etc.).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum 6 months commercial transportation underwriting experience.
- Computer skills including but not limited to proficiency with word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
Preferred Education and Experience
- College degree.
- One year or more of commercial transportation underwriting experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Must have proven track record of effective working relationships with peers.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $45,000.00 to $75,000.00 /year with full benefits.