Junior DeveloperUnico American Corporation
Unico American Corporation’s subsidiaries underwrite property and casualty insurance in the western states, primarily California, and provide insurance premium financing and membership association services. Founded over 35 years ago, Unico American Corporation is a publicly traded company, headquartered in the beautiful rolling hills of Calabasas, California.
The average tenure of an employee at Unico American is almost three times the national average. We take pride in providing outstanding benefits, beautiful offices, and a warm, friendly team. Our employees appreciate our ability to respect the balance between our expectations of getting great work done and the importance of personal fulfillment outside of the office.
This position reports to the Vice President of Information Technology and develops, implements, and maintains application software to established standards and specifications. The role is expected to create and modify web and server application software to implement approved changes specified by users, in accordance with the company’s Mission, Vision and Core Values.
This is a salaried position (exempt).
- $50,000 - $70,000/year
In addition to a competitive base compensation, this position offers:
- 3 weeks of vacation per year
- Medical coverage starting at $25 per bi-weekly pay period
- Dental coverage starting at $5 per bi-weekly pay period
- Vision coverage starting at $6.51 per bi-weekly pay period
- Profit sharing/401k plan with 3% non-discretionary employer contribution
- Life and AD&D coverage at $0 per-bi-weekly pay period
- Assist the senior developers in migrating from Green Screen to Web Screen, including helping with UX design.
- Participate in a major project involving the migration from a Honeywell platform to an IBM platform.
- Complete assigned software implementation tasks with high quality and on schedule.
- Conform to industry and company design standards and patterns in all application development work.
- Develop and distribute appropriate technical documentation for all applications.
- Respond to support ticket requests within the time frame outlined in our IT support policies.
- Communicate project status and issues on a frequent basis to IT and business management. Participate fully in weekly IT staff meetings and other meetings as required.
- Achieve a 90% user approval rating for assigned application software as established by annual user survey.
- Proactively monitor the performance of assigned application software and make approved changes to improve operating efficiency and effectiveness of assigned applications.
- Work with IT management, other IT staff and business users to identify opportunities to improve business processes.
- All other duties, as assigned.
Required Education, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience with AS/400 (IBMi) is a plus
- 1-2 years full-time programming experience
- Results Driven
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Technical Capacity
- Communication Proficiency
- Project Management
- Customer/Client Focus
- Problem Solving/analysis
- Teamwork Orientation
This position has no managerial or supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and to hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and stand; walk; use hands to hold, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Though some flexibility in hours may be allowed, the employee must be available during the company’s regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm, and for additional time outside of regular business hours to support the company’s business needs.
No travel is expected for this position. However, volunteer travel opportunities may be presented.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.